Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Joel 2:12-14

Starting tonight off with a simple verse....


12"Yet even now," declares the LORD, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; 13and rend your hearts and not your garments."Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love; and he relents over disaster.
14 Who knows whether he will not turn and relent, and leave a blessing behind him, a grain offering and a drink offering for the LORD your God?


I underlined the words "rend" and "relents" because honestly I had no idea what they meant in realtion to these verses....according to dictionary.com Rend means "to tear apart, split, or divide" and "relents" means to soften in feeling, temper, or determination; become moremild, compassionate, or forgiving. So there you have it.


This verse truly is amazing! It is so encouraging to read that God, "is gracious and merciful,slow to anger,and abounding steadfast love". But I think as a person I read this tonight, and only view God as a forgiver, which he is don't get me wrong" (not quite sure that is a word). But he is also so much more than just the person we say a word to every night so we can sleep better.I feel like at least in my life sometimes God is only my forgiveness, and that is all. But in reality God is so much more, He convicts us, and leads us, and...even corrects us when we are wrong.....I feel like alot of the time I have a lopsided view on who God is.... and  Pardon me for bringing a Talladega Nights quote (scene) into a rather deep blog post, but what the hay!...so watch and enjoy!






I promise you this isn't just a random clip of Talladega nights.....it is actually relevant to my point!!But this clip I think can really sum up how a lot of us view God, (not exactly), but when Ricky says, I like the "Christmas Jesus", the best so I pray to him (paraphrazing) It is like how we view God as something so we can get what we need from him...sorta...hope y'all are following...But God is sometimes put in the box and labeled as whatever you want God to be in this case being "Christmas Jesus" But what I,and maybe you as the reader as well, have to understand is that God is so much more than just forgiveness and healing, but a friend, and the stern hand that guides you. But what I am trying to tell myself mostly tonight is that God needs to be more than a last word at the end of my night, but a huge factor in my life....



But tonight If you didn't know this before God is all of these things listed in this verse! but also so much more as well!!






On that note good night and happy thanksgiving!




No comments:

Post a Comment